27 March 2019

Do you buy or sell goods from the EU?

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK businesses will need a UK EORI number to continue trading in the EU

HMRC has advised that in the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK businesses will need to apply the same processes to EU trade that apply when trading with the rest of the world.  They will need a UK EORI number to continue trading with the EU.

If you are based in the UK and import to or export from the EU and don’t already have an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number, you should register for one now.  It’s a relatively simple process and we recommend you apply now.

Why do I need an EORI number?

You will need your EORI number to continue to import or export goods with the EU after Brexit.  You will also need your EORI number to apply to be authorised for customs simplifications and to submit import and/or export declarations.

How do I apply?

Click here to register for an EORI number.

It should only take around 10 minutes to fill in the form online.  You will need your VAT registration number (if applicable) and business name.  If your business is not VAT registered, you will need a UK address, an email address, your date of birth and your National Insurance number.

If your business is a partnership you will also need to provide the date of birth and National Insurance numbers of all partners.

Companies will need their Company Registration Number, incorporation date and country of incorporation.  Registered charities will need their registered charity number and country of registration.

I’ve registered – what happens next? 

Once you’ve registered, you will receive your EORI number by email, usually within three working days, although HMRC states it can take longer during busy periods.  If you would like to discuss this or  any other VAT or tax issues associated with Brexit please contact Alan Glen or Scott Craig.